Sitemaps are a way to tell Google, Bing and other search engines about web pages, images and video content on your site that they may otherwise not discover. In its simplest form, a Sitemap is an XML file that lists URLs for a site along with additional metadata about each URL (when it was last updated, how often it usually changes, and how important it is, relative to other URLs in the site) so that search engines can more intelligently crawl the site.
The Image Sitemap plugin will generate a sitemap for your WordPress blog with all the image URLs that are used in your posts and pages.
Why its important ?
If a page on your site has multiple images, Google may have a problem identifying which among them is the most relevant image for the content of that page.
How to Generate Image Sitemaps ?
If you have a WordPress site, you can use the XML Sitemaps plugin to automatically generate an image sitemap with a click.
Here’s how you can install the plugin:
- Upload the plugins folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Expand the Tools menu from WordPress dashboard sidebar and select “Image Sitemap.”
- Click the “Generate Sitemap” button to create your XML Sitemap for mobile.
- Once you have created your Sitemap, you can submit it to Google using Webmaster Tools.
Once you have created your Sitemap, you can submit it to Google using Webmaster Tools. You can find the sitemap-image.xml file in your blog’s root folder.